15 Questions to Ask Yourself to Discover Your True Passions
I talk a lot about discovering purpose. One of the ways to help you tap into and discover your purpose is to figure out what you're most passionate about. One of my favorite T.D. Jakes quotes is
If you can't figure out your purpose, figure out your passion. For your passion will lead you right into your purpose.
The reason it's one of my favorites is because it's true. Our purpose is tied to the things we most love to do and enjoy. The problem is that we overthink purpose and tell ourselves that purpose can't be found in things we love and enjoy doing, but that is completely false. Sometimes we know what we're passionate about. Other times it requires a little more self reflection and soul searching. If you’re lucky, you’ve already discovered many of your passions and get to spend much of your time enjoying things that bring you excitement and joy. However, maybe you’ve not yet connected with activities, skills, and interests that ignite your passion.
The prompts below are written to help you tap into your wants, needs, desires, and fantasies. Have fun with them and discover what you can add to your life that will fill it with joy.
1. What’s the one thing I’ve always wanted to do? Consider what would need to happen in order for you to carry through with this long-sought wish. Make a plan and get started.
2. If I could spend today doing whatever I desire, what would it be? Let your mind go. It could be something related to your work, your home, or simply a lark.
3. Where do I really want to live? What city and what type of residence? Perhaps you’re already fulfilling this passion and you do live in your true first choice. If not, ponder the possibilities of moving to a place you’ll love.
4. Where would I like to visit? Perhaps you’re harboring a secret yearning to visit Washington, D.C. or Westminster Abbey in London. The streets of Hong Kong may be calling your name or even the Grand Canyon. Can you make it happen?
5. What do I talk about doing but never do it? In a conversation, you might state something like, “For the last 10 years, I’ve really wanted to take a cruise to the Caribbean.”
6. What are the reasons I don’t go after my dreams? Explore within yourself why you haven’t pursued the life you want. Can you do something differently to help bring your dreams to life?
7. How will I finish the sentence, “More than anything, before I die, I want to ___________?” Say it out loud and fill in the blank. Then, figure out a way to accomplish your wish.
8. What are the things in my life that I would like to get rid of? If you’re discovering you don’t love everything about your life, maybe it’s time to do some “housecleaning.” Make a list of the ways you’d like your life to change.
9. Which people in my life inspire me and why? It’s important to know who inspires you so you can spend more time with them. What is it about them that lights you up so much? Decide to take every step to be inspired more often.
10. If I were to make just one radical change in my life right now to make life better, what would it be? Your answer to this question will really open up your possibilities. Moving to a bigger city might really spice up your life. Getting more education might be a goal—plus you’ll likely make more money.
You’ll be happier if you chase your dreams. Make 1 change.
11. How do I feel when I put all my effort into accomplishing one of my goals? Notice these feelings. You’ll no doubt want to experience them more often.
12. How do I feel whenever I achieve a life goal? Awesome, probably.
13. What’s missing from my life? Answering this question requires considerable soul-searching.
14. Who are my biggest supporters? It’s wise to know the people that will stand behind you and help you pursue your passions, no matter what.
15. Who gets in the way of me achieving my goals? In order to find your true passions, you might be required to disengage from those who wish to counteract your efforts.
If you take the time to thoroughly ponder each of these questions, you’ll be pleased with what you discover. Your true passions are inside you, just waiting to be let loose to bring you excitement, joy, and fulfillment.